PDA Businesses & Permit Holders
Market Businesses & Permit Holders' Trademark Usage
The PDA Marketing Department regulates the use of Pike Place Market trademarks on all products, whether sold onsite at the Market or offsite at other locations. This includes use of the Pike Place Market name in conjunction with Market businesses.
Pike Place Market PDA merchants authorized to conduct business within the Market are entitled to use the name “Pike Place Market” and the PDA’s trademarks in accordance with either their rental agreement or lease with the PDA, for the limited purpose of identifying and promoting the location of their business. Leases and rental agreements do not entitle tenants to unrestricted use of PDA trademarks. Market merchants must obtain a license for any uses other than the limited use expressly permitted under their lease or rental agreement.
PDA Daystall tenants are permitted to use the name Pike Place Market and the clock/sign image on products they hand make and sell in the Pike Place Market, according to their annual rental agreement. Sales of such products at any location outside of the Pike Place Market must be requested in writing and approved in advance.
Businesses outside of the Market’s boundaries or located inside the Market Historic District cannot use Pike Place Market as an identifier, unless correctly stating they are “near” or “next to” the Pike Place Market.
Use of Pike Place Market NAME
A Market business with either a Pike Place Market PDA lease or a current Pike Place Market PDA permit may use the Market’s name as a location identifier, but may not use the name in their business name, nor in a manner that would in any way would likely be perceived as being an endorsement, approval, or affiliation of any product, service, or activity by Pike Place Market.
The Pike Place Market name should not be included inside of a business’s logo or as part of the business’s logo. When so authorized, the Market’s Name must be a stand-alone element that refers to the location – at Pike Place Market or located at Pike Place Market.
Permissible for use in a sentence
- Business Name at Pike Place Market (not included in the logo)
- Business Name – Located at Pike Place Market (not included in the logo)
- Business Name Pike Place Market (as part of the name or included in the logo)
- Business Name of Pike Place Market – In this case, “of” makes it appear as if the business was endorsed by the Market.
- Pike Place Business Name – as part of the business name
Use of Pike Place Market LOGOS & MARKS
A business with either a Pike Place Market PDA lease or current Pike Place Market PDA permit may not use the Market’s logo as part of its business logo, on products, on product packaging, or other identifying materials. A PDA business or permit holder may, however, utilize select Market marks on products, provided the item is sold exclusively at Pike Place Market. Should an item bearing the registered marks of the Market be sold offsite, it requires approval by the PDA Council and requires paying royalties.
Please use the list below to help guide you through the process.
When to register approval from the PDA:
- Products Sold Onsite at the Market: All uses of Market trademarks on products (labels and/or packaging) require prior approval from the PDA.
- Products Sold On Your Business Website: All uses of Market trademarks on products require prior approval from the PDA.
- Advertising Uses: Only if following the PDA Co-Op Advertising Program requirements.
- Promotional Uses: Any use of the mark in association with outside entities, requires approval from the PDA.
- Other: If not listed above, please seek PDA approval.
When a trademark license is required:
- Products Sold Offsite: All uses of Market trademarks on products (labels and/or packaging) that are sold outside of the Market require a licensing agreement.
- Naming a Product: All uses of Market trademarks on products that use our marks in the product name whether sold onsite or outside of the Market, requires a licensing agreement.
- Other: If not listed above, please seek more information. It probably will require approval and/or a licensing agreement.
What is considered a Pike Place Market trademark?
As unique identifiers, Pike Place Market owns and controls its name(s) and other marks, logos, signage, designs and symbols that are associated with the Market. These include the words Pike Place Market, Pike Place; images and signage such as Public Market Center clock sign, Public Market sign and other recognizable signs throughout the Market; and logos such as the official Market logo. Any person, business or organization desiring to use Pike Place Market trademarks in any manner and for any purpose must be licensed to do so.