The Pike Place Market has been a defining Seattle icon for more than a century. Scroll through the decades to learn how we became one of the oldest and largest continuously operating public markets in the United States.
Want to learn more about Pike Place Market? Download our recently released free digital book. Inside: Pike Place Market.
August 5, 1907
The Seattle City Council passes Council Member Thomas Revelle's ordinance to create a public farmers market on Pike Place.
August 17, 1907
Six to 12 farmers bring their produce-filled wagons to Pike Place on opening day. They sell out by lunchtime.
November 30, 1907
Seattle City Councilman Thomas Revelle dedicates the Market to the people of Seattle after Frank Goodwin completes construction of the first building.
Athenian Inn opens, with three Greek brothers as the owners.
Stalls are added thanks to a $10,000 contribution from the City of Seattle. The Sanitary Market building opens as well.
The Seattle City Council creates the jobs of Market Inspector (later changed to Market Master), Assistant Market Inspector, and Janitor.
The Corner Market building opens, with Three Girls Bakery as one of the shops.
The first of many proposals to create a new look to super-size the Market is rejected by Seattle voters.
The City of Seattle creates City Fish to counter the high price of fish.
With construction complete, the configuration of the Market looks much like it does today. A branch of the Seattle Public Library opens on the lower floor.
Arthur Goodwin takes over as manager of the Market from his uncle Frank.
Arthur Goodwin's book, "Markets: Public and Private" is published, which becomes a textbook for the creation of other markets.
Delivery man Peter DeLaurenti marries Mamie-Marie Mustelo, who works for her mother's grocery. In 1946 they purchase the grocery and create DeLaurenti.
Farmer Giuseppe "Joe" Desimone owns more than half the shares in the Pike Place Public Market Company, making him the major decision maker.
Dance Hall operates in the Economy Market Building. During the Depression, the Market was a central community gathering place as well as a major food center.
Our iconic Public Market Clock Sign is installed.
Artist Mark Tobey begins a years-long chronicle of the Market in sketches and paintings.
Engineer Harlan Edwards, husband of Seattle City Council member Myrtle Edwards, proposes development in the Market that includes a 1,500-car parking garage.
Pike Plaza Project proposed to rejuvenate the Market (urban renewal). Skyscrapers would replace most Market buildings. The plan is backed by the mayor.
Friends of the Market, led by architect and civic activist Victor Steinbrueck, forms to oppose plans to redevelop the Market.
Art Stall Gallery, a cooperative owned by a dozen women, opens.
Friends of the Market gathers 53,000 voter signatures to save the Market from the wrecking ball.
1.5 acres in Pike Place Market are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A larger area is added to the historic district listing in 1972.
March 30, 1971
The first Starbucks opens on March 30 at Pike Place and Virginia Street.
November 2, 1971
Seattle voters approve Initiative 1 to "Keep the Market" from the wrecking ball.
Oriental Mart opens. It is still owned by the original family, the Apostols.
The Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority (PDA) is created by the City of Seattle to act as public trustee of the Market.
The Market is renovated. $135 million is spent on renovation ($60 million in federal funds, $75 in private investment).
Alm Hill Gardens Farm starts selling on Market farm tables; today they have the distinction of being the farmer with the most seniority.
Pike Market Senior Center starts in location of a former biker bar.
A park honoring Victor Steinbrueck opens on a former site of an armory.
The PDA completes acquisition of 80 percent of properties in the Market historic district.
The Market Foundation is created to help raise funds for the Market's social service agencies.
A campaign begins to recruit donors who for $35 can have a name placed on a floor tile. Over 46,000 named tiles line the arcade.
Rachel the piggybank, which collects over $10,000 each year for the Market's child care, food bank, medical clinic and senior center, debuts.
The first-ever Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence Gold Medal is given to Pike Place Market in recognition of the Market Foundation's social services.
Pike Place Market PDA and the Urban Group settle a years-long dispute over ownership rights of Market properties.
Piroshky Piroshky opens in the Market.
Artists decorate over 200 models of Rachel the piggybank for a citywide event, Pigs on Parade. They were later auctioned to fund the Market's social services.
Pike Market Senior Center opens in the new LaSalle annex building, the first new building in the Market in over 30 years.
Seattleites celebrate the centennial of the Market.
Seattle voters approve a $71 million levy for Market renovations in November.
The Pike Place Market PDA wins the Great Markets, Great Cities Award at the 8th International Public Markets Conference in September.
After three years, the large-scale renovations are completed.
MarketFront expansion breaks ground on June 24, 2015!
Pike Place MarketFront Grand Opening celebration was held in June 2017.
Staff and the community came together to confirm a revised Hildt-Licata Agreement for another 10-year term, furthering the "Meet the Producer" tradition.
August 25, 2019
Pike Place Market welcomed back former Market buskers, The Head and the Heart to perform an unforgettable concert on the roof.
The Market faces one of its most challenging threats to date, the COVID-19 global pandemic.
The Market celebrates the 50th Anniversary of Seattle's "Keep the Market" vote.