Thank you for your interest in filming at Pike Place Market. Please note that applications are required at least 15 business days in advance of requested filming date, and longer for large projects. Due to crowded conditions of Pike Place Market, in most cases, filming is only permitted Tuesday-Thursday. Weekend filming is not permitted.
All filming projects require authorization from the Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority (PDA) Communications & Marketing department. With the exception of breaking news, no filming will be accommodated with less than 24 hours’ notice. All requests are evaluated on an individual basis.
To begin your request, submit the scope of your project via the application form. All details must be finalized in order to process your request and make sure we can accommodate the work in complaince with Pike Place Market's regulations and safety requirments.
Pike Place Market allows the use of property for filming or photogrpah only after the receipt of a Certificate of Insurance, approved permit, payment and signed contract prior to filming.
Film and Photography
- All commercial (“commercial” is anything other than personal use, not exclusively advertising) filming or photography requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. Editorial coverage and productions that align closely with Pike Place Market’s charter, mission and brand receive priority.
- Taking photos or videos of or at Pike Place Market for commercial purposes, including all stock images, advertising and merchandise, is prohibited without a film license granted from the PDA. If you want to film at the Market, please review our Location Guidelines and complete our Commercial Film & Photography Application.
- The Pike Place Market PDA owns trademark rights to the Pike Place Market name (and associated names), the Public Market Center clock and sign image, and other iconic Market imagery. For additional information on Trademark rights and Licensing, click here.
- In most cases due to the volume of requests, we cannot accommodate pilot TV programs, student films, unsold documentaries or films. Requests to include Pike Place Market in any outside advertising, promotions or photoshoots for businesses outside of the Market are considered on a case-by-case basis. The use of Market property for company R&D, product testing, user experience, etc. is prohibited.
- Fees include location, security, trademark license and others. Film permits carry a two-year usage limitation; use in perpetuity is typically not granted.
- The Location Guidelines must be read by applicant/licensee. The agreement covers the right for licensee to enter approved areas, outlines Pike Place Market policies, rules and regulations (no , defines Pike Place Market property, and identifies insurance policy requirements. Outside location agreements and non-disclosure agreements will not be signed.
- In most cases, filming is only permitted Tuesday-Thursday due to the crowded conditions in and around the Market. It is preferred that filming takes place during non-peak hours, before 11 a.m. or after 2 p.m. Additional blackout dates and times may apply.
- Pike Place Market reserves the right to deny any shoot at any time if it is not in the best interest of vendors, tenants, residents, staff, Market-goers, or if it defies the Market’s mission or any of the guidelines outlined.
NOTE: Permits from Washington Filmworks and the City of Seattle do not grant permission to film or photograph at Pike Place Market or within the nine-acre historic district. This includes permits to fly drones in any part of the Market’s boundaries.
For News Media on Assignment
Photographers or members of the media on assignment to cover a news story related to Pike Place Market or its merchants, vendors, craftspeople or staff, should contact the PDA Communications & Marketing department as soon as possible to request interviews and filming access before admittance to the Market.
Except in the event of breaking news, no day-of media will be accommodated to film at the Market. The Communications & Marketing department staff can assist in arranging film locations, interviews and security coverage, if needed. Click here for more information.